17. What will the format of your event be?:
Show/Performance/Demo lecture - entertainment events for adults and families
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The presentation will make use of images and slides to illustrate key concepts, (dependence upon this will be kept to a minimum and large amount of text will be actively avoided). The lecture will engage with the audience at three levels, individuals, groups and as a whole in the following manner:
1) Individuals will be invited to answer questions and to step to the front to take part in demonstrating the key concepts of biology, computing and data management. These key concepts will be demonstrated with everyday objects encouraging the participants to think about the research in an active and abstract way.
2) Interaction with groups of the audience will be used to demonstrate the pattern finding algorithms in two ways; with the aid of a musician to demonstrate patterns in music and with photographs taken of a number of audience volunteers to demonstrate facial recognition features of the algorithms described.
3) The whole audience will be able to use their smart phones and or tablet computers to access a web application that runs a segment of the data processing so that they can take part in the data mining throughout the event.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Lecture theatre, large audience