Superstar Polymer competition
We are giving schools the chance to win a set of polymer related resource for your science club or school worth £200, and a £50 individual prize for the winning inventors!
"Scientists at Horners use special substances called polymers to create great new products. But they need more ideas! Can you design a great new polymer product?"
This year's National Science & Engineering Week theme is invention & discovery and to celebrate CREST Star are running a competition sponsored by The Worshipful Company of Horners to discover the best new polymer-based invention.
You can find out lots about polymers and their uses on the Fantastic Plastic website at www.fantasticplastic.org.uk
The Worshipful Company of Horners has been around since at least the 1200s, although the craft dates from centuries earlier. In 1943 they started to work with the horn's modern equivalent, plastics. You can find out more about them from their website www.horners.org.uk.
Each activity resource is in two parts, which can be downloaded below.
- an "activity" card for the children to use, which sets out the problem and contains the questions for the children to discuss and helps them decide how to solve the problem.
- an "organiser" card which contains step-by-step instructions for running the activities; it also lists the resources you will need and gives the background science.
The activity will typically take one hour to complete. Children should work individually or in small groups with as much autonomy as possible to come up with their own questions and answers to solve the problem.
Entering the competition is easy, and your school or club does not need to be registered with CREST Star. Just follow these simple steps:
- Use the link below to download our Polymer Problem activity and get your learners to come up with their best inventions
- Share your learners' inventions with us. You could get the children to draw their invention, or make a model to photograph, and write a little bit about what it is, what it does, and how it is made. Or they could write a story about the invention and showing the wonderful things it does. Please make sure all inventions are clearly marked with the inventor's name, age, and year group, and the name of the school or club.
- Complete a school/club entry form which can be downloaded from this page.
- Send us your best inventions to the address below or email them to email@example.com
- The best inventions from KS1 and KS2 will each win an individual prize worth £50 and a polymer related science resource kit from Mindsets worth £200 for their school or club.
- Entrants must be aged between 5 - 11 years old
- Entries can take any format e.g. poster, photo, model, story
- Entries must be accompanied by a completed school/club entry form
- Entries must include the inventor's name, age, and year group, and the name of their school or club
- All entries must be received by March 31st 2013
- By submitting an entry you agree for it to be shared on our website and that of our competion partners
- Winners will be announced April 15th 2013
- The judges decision is final
- We regret that entries cannot be returned
Winners will be selected by the Worshipful Company of Horners from the best entries selected by the British Science Association's Young Peoples Team. A selection of the best inventions from each category will also be displayed on the Horners' website.
Entries must be sent to:
Superstar Polymer Competition
British Science Association
165 Queen's Gate
London SW7 5HD
Or you can email your entry to: