Access to this Site and Changes
- Access to and use of the www.britishscienceassociation.org website ("this Site") is provided by the British Science Association of Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5HD ("we" or "us") subject to these Site Terms.
- Your use of any part of this Site constitutes your acceptance of these Site Terms which takes effect on the date on which you first use this Site. If you do not agree with these Site Terms, you should cease using this Site immediately.
- We reserve the right to change these Site Terms at any time by posting changes online. You are responsible for regularly reviewing information posted online to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your continued use of this Site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of the amended Site Terms.
Availability of this Site, Security and Accuracy
- Whilst we endeavour to make this Site available 24 hours a day, we will not be liable if for any reason this Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. We make no warranty that your access to this Site will be uninterrupted, timely or error-free. Access to this Site may be suspended to you personally or to all users temporarily or permanently at any time and without notice. We also reserve the right at any time and without notice to impose restrictions on the length and manner of usage of any part of the Site for any reason. If we impose restrictions on you personally, you must not attempt to use this Site under any other name or through another user.
- We do not warrant that this Site will be compatible with all hardware and software which you may use. Although we may put in place security measures for your protection, we shall not be liable for damage to, or viruses or other code that may affect, any computer equipment, software, data or other property as a result of your access to, use of or browsing of, this Site or your downloading of any material from it. We shall also not be liable for the actions of third parties in breaching any security measures.
- Any information found on this Site is intended for guidance only. We may change this Site and anything described in it without notice to you.
- Whilst we endeavour to ensure that information on this Site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given that it is complete, accurate or up-to-date and we do not accept any liability for any errors or omissions.
- Nothing on this Site shall constitute legal, financial or other advice. You should consult your professional adviser if you require such advice.
Our liability to you
- We accept liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence and for fraudulent misrepresentation. TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, FOR OTHER RESULTS OF OUR NEGLIGENCE, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT LOSSES OR FOR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES.
- TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, EXCEPT AS A RESULT OF OUR NEGLIGENCE WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS OR LOSS OF PROFITS) ARISING IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SITE, OR ANY MATERIAL CONTAINED IN IT OR ACCESSIBLE FROM IT, OR FROM ANY ACTION OR DECISION TAKEN AS A RESULT OF USING THIS SITE OR ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY ARRANGEMENT MADE WITH ANYONE NAMED OR CONNECTED WITH OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS SITE.
Your submission of material to this Site and your liability
- We may use any material, information and data that you submit to us or this Site for any purpose. You agree that you waive your moral rights to be identified as the author and we may modify your submission.
- You shall not submit any material, information or data to us or to this Site which in any respect:
13.1 is in breach of any statute, regulation or byelaw of any jurisdiction;
13.2 may breach the intellectual property rights or privacy or other rights of any third party;
13.3 may be obscene, indecent, pornographic, vulgar, racist, sexist, discriminatory, offensive, harmful, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, malicious, abusive, hateful, menacing, defamatory, untrue or political;
13.4 is fraudulent, criminal or unlawful;
13.5 is inaccurate; or
13.6 may be contrary to our interests.
- You shall not impersonate any other person or body or misrepresent a relationship with any person or body or adopt a false identity if the purpose of doing so is to deceive or defraud others.
- You must not interfere with another person's use of this Site or otherwise act in a way that negatively affects another person's use of this Site.
- We will not be responsible or liable for any error, omission or inaccuracy in the material, information or data supplied by you or other users to this Site and we reserve the right to omit, suspend or edit any material, information or data submitted.
- You shall fully and promptly indemnify us against all damages, proceedings, claims, demands, liabilities, losses, charges, costs and expenses which we may suffer or incur as a result (direct or indirect) of any breach by you of these Site Terms or as a result of any material, information or data submitted by you to us or to this Site.
- The British Science Association name [and logo] and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans are the trademarks or service marks of us or our suppliers.
Third Party Web Sites
- We accept no responsibility for the content of any site to which a link from this Site exists. The links are provided "as is" with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them.
Use of User Names and Passwords
- You may need to use a user name and password for access to restricted areas of this Site. In that event, you must not use that part of this Site unless you first expressly agree to these Site Terms. If you are classified as a "member" of the restricted area, this does not necessarily mean that you are a member of the British Science Association.
- We may change what is available in any restricted areas of this Site from time to time without notice.
- You must at all times keep the user name and password strictly confidential and secure.
- You must not choose a password which can be readily guessed.
- You shall not disclose or allow others to have access to the user name or password without our prior permission.
- If you think you may have lost or allowed a third party to see or use your user name or password, you must inform us immediately.
- You shall be responsible for all use of our Site made under your user name.
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to reject any request by you for a user name or password.
- We may require that your user name or password is changed from time to time.
If any of these terms should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted and the remaining Site Terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
If you are aware of any misuse of this Site by another person in breach of these Site Terms, please report this to us as soon as possible.
- If you want to contact us for any reason, please contact us using the contact information listed on this Site.
English law and jurisdiction
- These Site Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any dispute which may arise under these Site Terms.
The website at www.britishscienceassociation.org ("the Site") is operated by the British Science Association of Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5HD ("we" or "us").
We may ask you or others to supply us with various information about yourself during your use of the Site. We use that information to allow you to be able to make full use of the Site and to give you a service that suits your preference.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions about the way in which we use your personal information please write to us at the above address or email us with 'data protection' in the subject heading. If you would like to make any changes to your personal information, please refer to the relevant section of the Site.
We will only keep your information for as long as we are either required to by law, or as is relevant for the purposes for which it was collected.
We have in place appropriate technical and security measures to prevent unauthorized or unlawful access to or accidental loss of or destruction or damage to your information.
Data that we collect
We collect information when you (or someone on your behalf) becomes a member of us, registers for access to a restricted area of the Site or subsequently visits the Site. This information includes your name, user name, password, e-mail address, postal address, telephone number, fax number, age, membership number, profession, credit card or debit card details, your other interests, whether you belong to another organisation, how you heard about the British Science Association and from time to time other relevant information. We need this information in order to process and deliver membership or Site benefits (including passing your details onto our subcontractors), to send you relevant information about us or the Site and in case we have any queries.
Other uses of your personal information
We may use any of the information which you provide to us in order to send you information about products or services which we think would be of interest to you including those of the organisations with whom we jointly provide a service. If you would prefer not to receive particular information, please email us to let us know.
We may also disclose your personal information to carefully selected third parties if we consider this may be of benefit to you. If you would prefer that we do not do so (unless we are required to do so by law), please email us to let us know.
We may also use your personal information to customise this website in line with your preferences and to help us understand the way in which users use and visit this Site.
Further, we may use your personal information for the purposes of billing, surveys and improving this Site.
Please be aware that to protect your privacy we will wherever practicable aggregate your personal information so that it is used by us in an anonymous format.
This Site may contain advertising and other links to other sites or frames of other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of those other sites.
Unless otherwise stated, the copyright and any other intellectual property rights in all information, data, text, artwork, pictures, photographs, images, graphics and materials (together "Materials") on or downloaded from the www.britishscienceassociation.org website ("this Site") and the design, layout, look and appearance of this Site are owned by the British Science Association ("we" or "us"), our suppliers or other users of this Site. You are permitted to use and download such Materials or extracts from this Site, subject to all of the following:
- Your use of this Site and the Materials on or obtained from this Site is for your information or personal use only. You may not use this Site or such Materials for any commercial purpose unless you obtain our express prior written consent.
- You must not in any way modify any Materials on or ordered from this Site, except as we expressly permit.
- The British Science Association copyright notice (ie. © British Science Association 2008) or, where indicated, the notice of our suppliers must appear in all electronic or hard copies of any Materials obtained from this Site.
- No part of this Site or the Materials on it may be reproduced or stored in any other website or included in any public or private electronic retrieval system or service without our prior written permission.
- Any rights not expressly granted in the terms of this copyright notice are reserved.