13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
This hands-on interactive event will show how earthquakes and tsunamis affect the surface of the earth and how we as sea-level scientists can measure this change. There will be three main themes:
(1) Earthquake and tsunami basics – including demonstrations of how earthquakes cause the land level to change in coastal areas and a simulation of how tsunamis are generated by earthquakes.
(2) Where we find a record of earthquakes and tsunamis – demonstrate how we use the soils on the coast to tell us when earthquakes have happened in the past and how big they were.
(3) Measuring sea-level change – demonstrate how we use microscopic algae found in the soils to tell us about past environments and past changes in the height of the land caused by major earthquakes.
16. How does your event relate to this year's theme of 'Making waves'?:
One of the main focuses of the event will be on tsunamis – large destructive waves caused by earthquakes. We will explore how tsunamis are generated, the damage they can cause, and where we find evidence for tsunamis that have occurred in the past.