North West Branch
The North West branch has an enthusiastic committee who put on regular events throughout the year. The jewel in our crown is the Mini-Festival, held the first weekend in October every year at Daresbury Laboratory. This is a full day of lectures, workshops and hands-on events, designed, as the name suggests, to mirror the success of the British Science Festival, albeit only for a day.
In addition to the Daresbury Mini-Festival the NW branch is the proud owner of seven SciBars.
- Knutsford SciBar - 1st Monday of the month, 7:30pm, Knutsford Sports Club, Mereheath Lane
- Didsbury SciBar - 3rd Monday of the month, 6:45pm. The Albert Club
- Bollington SciBar - 2nd Monday of the month, 6:30pm, the Vale Inn
- Macclesfield SciBar - 4th Monday of the month, 6:30pm, Park Tavern
- Chester SciBar - last Tuesday of the month, 7:30pm, The Ship Inn, Handbridge
- Congleton - 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7:30pm, The Young Pretender
- Widnes - 2nd Wednesday of the month, 7.30pm, Hillcrest Hotel
- Wilmslow - 3rd Tuesday of the month, 7:30pm at The Old Dancer, SK9 1DR
Knutsford SciBar has developed beyond the monthly meeting and now has some fun stuff on the go: a team is designing rockets for a Pop Bottle Rocket Competition at Chester Race course; a monthly Book Reading Club which reads and discusses about 40 pages of a selected book each month; you can see poetry written about the SciBar by SciBarians including one by The Poet Laureate of Cheshire, Andrew Rudd, inspired by a previous visit to the SciBar. The poems can be read (and even watched) on the website. They also have a flourishing Discussion Group where views can be expressed and questions asked on any scientific topic outside of the meeting.
Chair/Secretary: Lorelly Wilson
Treasurer: Graham Bonwick
If you would like to support the branch and help raise some vital funds at no extra cost for you when shopping online, please visit their easyfundraising page. It’s easy, it’s free, and you will even receive vouchers and special offers! You could also support your branch by joining one of Discover Adventure's sport fundraising challenges and/or our new recycling scheme privded by Recycling Appeal.