2 hours + 30 mins discussion time
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
I am planning 4 talks (25 minutes), which I would like to be followed by an interactive discussion with the audience (i.e. audience can ask speakers questions/debate the material covered).
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
I prefer a city centre venue. I believe the event has the potential to attract a reasonable audience. A lecture space for the main talks, and a reception area where we can try to involve organisations such as Mind/Rethink Mental Illness/Making waves etc.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Our life boat bobs on an undulating tide of feelings of fear and anxiety, but for some the waves of anxiety become insurmountable. Join us to explore the role that fear and anxiety play in our lives. Through a series of talks and an open discussion we address how the everyday experience of fear can escalate into a debilitating problem. How do children develop fears? Does anxiety run in the family? Can anxiety be prevented or stopped? Do we live in a society of fear?
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
I anticipate one of the speakers coming from Newcastle University, who have a very strong anxiety research group.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
1. One talk will be about the influence of the media on children's anxiety. 2. Mental health issues are large on the government agenda at the moment. 3. It would be easy to general local interest stories around people with anxiety problems.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
University of Sussex
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
School of Psychology
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Sunday 8 September 2013