17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
Several young PhD researchers in the area of biology I am associated with have expressed a distinct interest in hosting an event of this title. We would be interested in presenting as a group to an audience of all ages in a fun and accessible manner.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Faily open, as we'd primarily like to present in a performance-based manner.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
A short lecture performed by a group of young research scientists covering some of the amazing things microbes do and have done, including the wondrous work they do within the human body and their use as biotechnological tools for the production of medicines and other useful products (for example, E. coli and the production of insulin for diabetics). Presented in an accessible way so as to appeal to a wide audience, including children.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
I'm an active participant in Northumbria's amateur dramatics societies and have associations with the university's Writers' Society. A number of local individuals involved in performance art (as well as the PhD students mentioned previously) have expressed an interest in providing input or aid in putting together this event - I feel they would greatly help to make it a success. In particular, I feel they'd be of great assistance in helping to make it fun and accessible for all ages. As for myself: I am also presently a PhD student in the area of biotechnology/biochemistry, with an interest in performance art and science communication. I feel really passionate about making science fun, accessible and understandable - and I also love the microbes I work with, too!
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
4 Hickling Court
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: