1h30m if possible
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
45 min demonstration lecture by Dr Santos, 15min Q&A to the panel of MWUK representatives (Geoff Wain, Prof Margaret Brown, Dr Santos) 30min time for the public to play with maths props and museum prototypes.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Room with data projector, microphone, sound speakers, table for the speaker for demos. Ideally there would be space to have props on display so people can interact. A flat room may be easier so that people could move around and interact with props. We are happy to tailor this to the space available and discuss with the organisers,
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
We will exploring the problem 'what is the shape of the slide that allows a body to slide the fastest from top to down' also known as the brachistochrone problem. The UK's first museum entirely dedicated to Mathematics is in preparation. The museum will be highly interactive and pitched at different levels of interest in mathematics. In this session we will give you a taster of some of the curious maths that we will explore in the museum and give you a chance to have your say on what you would like to see there.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
The MWUK aims to offer a permanent home to mathematics interactives and activities relevant to audiences such as the British Science Festival public.The first MWUK exhibition is being planned for the North if England, and so the festival in Newcastle will be an ideal way of letting the population know about the exhibition.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
1. The UK will have its first mathematics museum. 2. The engineering and maths necessary to crack the fastest slide is the same that goes into creating cool tracks for skateboarding, 3. This session will provide the public with the opportunity to influence the content of the MWUK museum. 4. It will be fun!
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
Maths World UK
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: