17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
2h session split between three 35min lectures and 15min Q&A. Lecture 1: Prof Ehrhard Behrends, "Mathematics makes billionaires: the mathematics behind GOOGLE" The fundamental idea behind the GOOGLE algorithm is surprisingly simple. It is, however, not so easy to realize this idea. In the talk the problems and the solution will be explained in non-technical terms. Lecture 2: Dr Jorge Buescu, "Make waves with equations and become a millionaire!" Water, wind, oil, weather or climate: their equations are all the same. Solve them and win $1,000,000! Lecture 3: Dr Sara Santos, "Cubics and Banquets: where does 'i' fit in it?" How was the imaginary number i discovered? What does it have to do with cubic equations such as x^3 + 2x = 9? Come and find out how food is at stake in a duel between Italian mathematicians.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Lecture theatre with sound speakers, microphone and data projector.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Have you heard of Google? Did you know the secret behind their fortune lies in carefully crafted equations? In this event we discuss famous mathematical equations and the adventures of the mathematicians working on them.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
1. Maths that turns into profitable business. 2. Maths questions that are worth millions of dollars. 3. This event gives the public the chance to ask professional mathematicians questions about equations, why anyone is interested in them and maths in general.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The panel is international consisting of speakers from Germany, Portugal and UK. Prof. Dr. Ehrhard Behrends, professor at Freie Universität Berlin, Chair of the committee “raising public awareness” of the European Mathematical Society. Prof Dr Jorge Buescu, Professor at the University of Lisbon, member of the Committee “Raising Public Awareness” of the European Mathematical Society Dr Sara Santos, Director and founder of Maths Busking, member of the Committee “Raising Public Awareness” of the European Mathematical Society.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
European Mathematical Society Raising Public Awareness Committee
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: