17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The material is for adults. Some, such as issues for law courts, will provoke much discussion. The presentation will be of a form that permits ongoing Q&A and there will be demonstration material to break up the talking and lighten the mood.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Data projector and power supply. It is possible that a few members of the audience may be CSA victims. They will be offered the chance for a separate chat afterwards. It would be good to have a small room available for this.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Covers Child Sex Abuse (CSA), psychotic symptoms, impact of trauma, PTSD, effects on brain. A high proportion of adults with symptoms of psychosis report experiencing CSA. It is reasonable to believe that abuse causes the mental condition. The symptoms have much in common with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and a mechanism is proposed that accounts for similarities by means of brain changes that are common to both. The nature of these changes will be explained, and the means of detecting them demonstrated.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Does CSA cause schizophrenia? Is CSA close to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? Does CSA make you more susceptible to hypnosis? Does CSA change the brain? The answers to all the above are "Probably, yes - at least sometimes."
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The organiser spent some years working with the Ministry of Defence, researching programmes to deal with PTSD. Additionally, he accustomed to dealing with adults who were abused as children. Also relevant - he is Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board to the British False Memory Society.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Old Keeper's Cottage
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
01491 680 944
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: