17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
We intend to have a group of people take part in a question time debate - this will be chaired by a young person (15 years old) and the panel will include academics who have expertise in the field: Prof. Eileen Kaner and Prof. Eilish Gilvarry and Dr Stephanie O'Neil as well as representation from a police officer, a paramedic, an accident and emergency doctor and a teacher and another young person. We will use turning point voting handsets to allow the audience to vote on which pre-defined question the panel should answer next. The question time would be led by the young person who will be trained and have support to lead the debate.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
we would prefer to have this in a theatre type environment (somewhere like the SAGE or tyneside theatre) however anywhere where it is possible to have a panel tabel at the front and powerpoint technology (for the voting technology to be seen) would be sufficient.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
The purpose of the session is to explore what the evidence tells us around messages and interventions to reduce the harm caused by young people’s drinking (health and social harm) with a panel made up of young people as well as academics and those who deal with the day to day consequences of alcohol related harm. How can we work with young people to ensure that these messages and interventions will be of benefit to them now and in the future? Is an adult’s view of risk the same as a young person’? What is the best way of communicating risk messages to young people?
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
The north east has one of the hightest levels of alcohol use by young people. The panel members have been involved in working with young people who are risky drinkers in the region.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Young people and alcohol drinking. Young people being involved in the panel (as well as academics and people who deal with the consequences of drinking - police, medics, teacher, paramedics).
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Baddiley Clark Building
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
Medical Sciences 
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Saturday 7 September 2013
Sunday 8 September 2013