The event will last 2-3 hours.
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The event will last 2-3 hours and consist of several (max 5) 15-20 minute talks with a Q & A session and panel discussion at the end. There will also be time for refreshments.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Our preference would be a city centre location easily accessible by public transport with parking close by. A conference room or lecture theatre suitable for 100+ attendees would be requested. We would also require a reception space for leaflets and other hand-outs and an area where refreshments could be served.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Without the brain little else matters. As we age, the brain, the most complex organ in the body, may either decline in function and in some cases degenerate or it can sustain activity to a very old age. What makes the brain age? Why do some people manage to keep active thought processes whilst others develop devastating neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, or stroke? Are there ways in which we can maintain brain function? Can we postpone, stop, or even reverse brain ageing? We will present a series of public lectures followed by panel discussion on how the brain ages successfully, show what happens when the brain does not age successfully. As part of this, current research and activities within Newcastle in both the University and NHS will be showcased to demonstrate the range of work being done. This will run as part of the annual Alzheimer’s Research UK (ARUK) local conference organised by local members.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Speakers will be local clinicains, researchers and academics. Members of the Institute for Ageing and Health and local Alzheimer’s Research UK group will be involved in organising and manning the event.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Given that over 800,000 people in the UK are living with dementia a figure which is set to rise given the ageing popluation. We aim to showcase a range of work being carried out locally involving the brain and dementia.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Our event aims to engage as wide an audience as possible with a general interest in ageing, the brain and dementia. We expect to show that the human brain is a wonderfully complex organ capable of numerous intricate tasks but that it is vulnerable to ageing and can often fail. We will show how damage can occur and what the consequences are. We will aim to interacting with local and national press through the various societies (e.g. Alzheimer’s Society, Alzheimer’s Research UK), and by distribution of publicity material to local groups and societies. We hope to have feedback during the event on what participants thought were the most engaging by asking for feedback on forms that can be completed during or after the event. We would also aim to leave information for groups or individuals to take away should they want to arrange a separate visit from our team to provide educational seminars aimed at specific groups. As one measure of success we would simply determine what information leaflets we can distribute to participants and how many of these are used.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Institute for Ageing and Health
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
0191 248 1323
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
Medical Sciences 
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Monday 9 September 2013
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Thursday 12 September 2013