17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The presentation will be addressed to a general audience with no particular knowledge on these themes. Clear and simple information will be given to make all points. Complex scientific language will be avoided.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Could be at Northumbria if required
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
From the field of product design and combining basic physics and biology principles, a perspective will be given about the science behind the search for growth, its viability and possibilities: what can or can’t grow indefinitely? Our products are designed to perform in a specific economic model, which in turn is dependent on resources: human, financial and natural. Can we turn sustainability problems into creativity challenges? This research studies what changes can be made in product design in order to minimize the negative impacts of our lifestyle.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
The North East is world leading in product design and sustainability research. The North East can take a leading role in the innovation of processes for product manufacturing, usage and reintegration to natural or technical cycles. The dependence of Britain on foreign resources means it is of utmost importance to find more efficient ways of dealing with resources.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
1. A biophysical perspective of the incoherent current models of consumption. 2. Evidence of the impossibility of “business as usual”. 3. Some examples of innovation, from complexity to systems design. 4. Research findings on the integration of lifecycle into the design process.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Saturday 7 September 2013
Sunday 8 September 2013
Monday 9 September 2013
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Thursday 12 September 2013