17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
Format: Talk - 15 mins Show - 20 mins Questions - 10 mins Interactive session (audience invited to 'play' with the instruments using a keyboard).
Centre for Life Newcastle
20. Venue requirements:
Indoor, 4m minimum clearance to audience, 3m to ceiling, sensitive electrical equiment turned off, domestic electricity supply.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Electricity had humble begginings and was first seen as just a curiosity. It was not until Faraday showed electricity could be a useful power source that it was recognised as having a place in the future. Tesla's work on alternating currents formed the basis of modern electrical power transmission which we now take for granted. His work into wireless power transmission led to his discovery of the Tesla coil. Todays Tesla coils are back to being a curiosity but, with modern electronic control, can be used a musical instruments - a frivolous use for some of mankinds greatest discoveries.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
1878 - Joseph Swan invents the firs electric lamp; The first domestic use of electricity.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
The performance will be unique, informative, a little terrifying and engaging.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Please see previous work by googling 'newcastle brightarcs' or see our youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4CHL86K8qA&playnext=1&list=PL939DB868A1500FC9&feature=results_main About me: I am a reaseach associate / engineer a Newcastle University at the school of computing science. I have an active interest in education and technology and have been involved in research my whole career. I hold a degree in Electical and Electronic engineering and a PhD in mechanical engineering. The tesla coil project started during my PhD studies in Loughborough. Since then it has led to the creation of Brightarcs and the most advanced musical tesla coils in the world.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
28 Dovedale Gardens
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Saturday 7 September 2013
Sunday 8 September 2013