17. What will the format of your event be?:
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
We will need a lecture hall with equipment for projecting images, video etc. We may be able to arrange this with the university but would like to discuss options with the Festival team. We would prefer to be as central as possible.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Do dramatic advances in biological science mean that the live animal model has become redundant or is it more relevant than ever? This event will look at how animals are used now, what changes are afoot, including replacement technologies, and what is being done to improve conditions for lab animals. Presentations from three expert speakers will be followed by a panel session allowing the public to ask questions about this complex and controversial subject.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Newcastle University is an important centre for animal research, including research using non-human primates, and a leading light in seeking greater public openness on this subject. They are currently in the process of updating and rebuilding their animal facilities.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
-Why animals are still being used for medical research -What the public response to the debate is -Breakthroughs in replacement technologies
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
This is a controversial topic but we are very experienced in dealing with it and would not anticipate any conflict beyond the norms of civilised debate. The importance of the topic for medical research cannot be overstated.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
Understanding Animal Research
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
30 Farringdon Lane
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: