Timeslots to be discussed
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
2. Helping older drivers, drive safer for longer. Maybe a townhall forum to debate this issue (the older drivers we work with are very passionate on this issue – we could also possibly bring people to our driving simulator in the Devonshire Building and let some people drive this whilst being ‘wired up’. Ths simulator cannot be moved so vistors will have to come to us - we also have our electric car avaiulable on the transport science space and we could allow some visitors to experience a ride in the electric vehicle - which is used as a driving lab for the research.
In and around Devonshire Building and Newcastle University
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
The number of older drivers is predicted to double by 2030. There is clear evidence that when people stop driving, in many cases, their well-being decreases significantly as they become less mobile. Research in ongoing to understand older drivers needs and also the sorts of technologies that could help them continue driving safer for longer. The benefits for older drivers and society as a whole are compelling.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Newcastle University research through the SiDE Digital Hub project linked to 'Voice North' which has provided 'older' participants to get involved in the study. Uses a driving simulator and instrumented electric vehicle in the trails - which can be showcased and experienced by the science festival participants.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
BBC Breakfast and Sky have filmed this at an early stage - there is much more to see visually now. Contact Louella Holdcroft - Media Relations for Newcastle University, she knows the project.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
It is just an idea, we are flexible and can adapt this to suit. Whenever this is presented to public audience it always generates a great deal of interest and debate.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Sunday 8 September 2013
Monday 9 September 2013
Tuesday 10 September 2013