17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
We plan to show video clips of our research.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
We will require video display facilities and audio.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Can advanced digital technologies make waves in the tide of social exclusion? The £12M "Social Inclusion through the Digital Economy" project is doing this, working with older people, the disabled and young people on the margins of society. Our work includes: - a kitchen that helps people with dementia to cook - using sensors to monitor older people's activity and give them personal health advice - an instrumented car than is being used to identify and avoid situations that cause anxiety in older drivers The project is an example of how researchers from a wide range of disciplines (computer science, electrical engineering, sociology, gerontology, design and business), can work together to overcome deep-seated problems in society.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
The SiDE project engages participants from the community to provide feedback on research topics. We utilise Voice North and have established networks with local authorities.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
*Driving Lab *Sensors and activity monitoring *impact on an ageing population
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Prof Paul Watson will deliver the talk.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
SiDE Project, Newcastle University
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Room 820, Claremont Tower
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Monday 9 September 2013
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Thursday 12 September 2013