17. What will the format of your event be?:
Film with discussion and blind footie game
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
Film is 40 mins long, followed by a short talk with anthropologist working on this area (lots of controversy - eg whether a sighted professional Premier League goalkeeper should play for the national Blind Football team and whether the game should be as competitive as it has turned out to be) and a longer discussion with the anthropologist and some local blind football players that Susanne Hammacher (Film Officer, RAI) is in contact with. Game at end is optional but hopefully people will want to join in!
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Need AV with DVD facilities. Also would be good to be near a sports field / sports hall that we could use for 30 mins or so for the blind football kick about.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Fans of The Toon, take inspiration from the real-life story of Mulgheta, captured by documentary film-maker Lena Neef. Born in Eritrea, Mulgheta moved to Germany as a child. After a terrible car accident at the age of 20 left him blind, he turned to football and played in the German national Blind Football team. Watch this moving film, discuss current research on the controversial world of Blind Football with anthropologist and former professional footballer Rolf Husmann, and quiz local Blind Football players about the game and why they love playing it. Finally, try it for yourself in an informal kick-about.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Newcastle - football city that also has quite an active blind football scene
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Possibly anyway - there was a lot of interest generated by paralympics and the possibility that a sighted footballer would play in goal; I also imagine that the local press would be keen on the human interest side: scientists-trying-their- feet-at-blind-football-with-Geordie-blind- footballers-laughing-at-them type of thing.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The film session was successful last year and the year before, partly because of the involvement of real people from the local area (prison officer for the prison film and oil worker from the oil film) so hope we can continue to improve the attendance at the ethnographic film.
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: