90 minutes +
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The one-one consultations with members of the public may run beyond the 90 minute session time - so we will possible need the venue for longer.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
We need a lecture theatre and a space for private one-to-one consultation with members of the public (given sensitive nature of some of the topics involved)
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
CSI: Newcastle is aimed at people interested in family history, the history of medicine and the history of disease and medical care in the North East. The aims of the event are threefold. First, speakers will offer explanations of common medical terminology and diagnoses that family historians may have come across in the course of their research, including terms found on death certificates, hospital reports and medical records. Secondly, the speakers will explore the question: why have the names of diseases and medical complaints changed over time? And finally we will look at the diseases that have been particularly prevalent in the North East and the medical institutions that developed in the region. The format of the session will be three short presentations and then an open Q & A, with a final opportunity for members of the public to talk with the speakers on a one-to-one basis.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
One of the speakers will be a historian of medicine who specialises in at illness and health in the North East coalfields.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
We will be targeting local family history groups and encouraging members of the public to bring in the death certificates of their ancestors for discussion and analysis. We would therefore like to set up local radio and press interviews prior to the festival to advertise this event and the festival itself. We have two historians of science/medicine based at Leeds( Dr Jamie Stark) and York (Dr Sabine Clarke) who would be available for interviews in the run up to the festival.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
This is a repeat of the successful event organised for History of Science section by Dr Sabine Clarke at the Bradford Science festival - CSI:Grandma
I am the event manager:
I am not the event manager
History of Science Section
1. Event Manager Organisation:
History of Science Section
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Wednesday 11 September 2013