Indicated as requested in 19. Details of event format.
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The event will be a series of three or four short talks which develop the theme from nuclear medicine and the chemistry involved through to the relevance to the cancer patient. We will also arrange the opportunity for the audience to tour the facility in small groups (booking will be essential).
Chemistry department main lecture theatre - the Alec Campbell LT. It is anticipated that this event will be of interest to a wide range of the public.
20. Venue requirements:
It is only practical to run this event in a venue in the chemistry department as the cyclotron facility to be viewed is in the basement.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Newcastle chemistry department houses a new cyclotron facility, funded by the Bobby Robson Foundation. It is therefore unique in Europe in being able to flexibly generate PET tracers which can then be used in the local NHS trust. The speakers in this session will be chosen to explain and illustrate the path from nuclear chemistry to diagnosis.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Local funding, short half life of nuclear activity limits the range over which these can be transported.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
The 2013 Festival will take place very close to the first anniversary of the official opening. The facility is unique in Europe (and perhaps the world) and is, in partnership with the cyclotron manufacturers, developing a cartridge based chemistry to generate the imaging agents both quickly (before the activity decays, as the half lives are often less than one hour) and in sterile conditions (so they can be used immediately in the patient).The involvement of the Bobby Robson Trust means that it is definitely of interest to the local area.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Presenters will be asked to pitch the talks primarily for an interested audience. I have already seen one of the presenters who is able to put across the main ideas in a very accessible fashion. Potential speakers: Michael Whitaker and Roth Plummer
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Monday 9 September 2013