and hour and a half
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The event will be videoed by young people and published on the internet.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
Would prefer a lecture theatre suitable for a large audience – with microphones for three or four speakers and roving microphones.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
What can the natural sciences tell us about what it is to be human? In recent decades a plethora of claims about human nature have been made from fields such as genetics, evolutionary psychology and neurobiology but do they stand up to scrutiny? Is this the right place to look to understand ourselves better or is it a blind alley? This event will interrogate these questions through a panel discussion and chaired conversation with the audience.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
As part of The Great Debate’s fifteenth anniversary this is a return to one of the key threads that ran through our early work, solidifying our reputation for delivering challenging, entertaining and thought-provoking debates for a general audience. It will also be part of the year-long Great North Festival taking place across the North East. The event will be filmed by young people not in employment, education or training as part of The Great Debate’s documentary-making training programme. It will involve an audience of all ages, from 14 to 84.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The event will be chaired by Dr Caspar Hewett, Director of The Great Debate, who has over fifteen years of experience of organizing and facilitating events of this type.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
The Great Debate
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
17 Cardigan Terrace
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
Newcastle upon Tyne
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
17 Cardigan Terrace
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Thursday 12 September 2013