One day (plus three practice presentations with an audience in preceding 3 days)
17. What will the format of your event be?:
Mixed formats to be decided by the engineers in the preceding days – through interaction between themselves and with festival goers.
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
We propose to have a one day event which will include a number of different elements – this is likely to include presentations; demonstrations; chaired conversations with the audience; consensus building sessions based around questions related to engineering and society.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
A large space without fixed chairs, preferably flat, with projection facilities for powerpoint and video (from laptop or fixed desk top).
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
The Challenge is for a group of engineers from different locations and backgrounds to design, plan and deliver a one day event that communicates their work to a general audience in a genuinely engaging way. A three day intensive mentoring and training programme, combined with practice and consultation sessions with a public audience, will prepare the engineers for the challenge, but the topics and the approach are truly unknown – the engineers will decide.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
The one-off event will be a lively, experimental day unique to the festival. The public will get to interact with over 20 young engineers from all over the country involved in a wide range of types of work. It will be the culmination of a four day experiment in which the engineers will explore different ways of presenting their work and different ideas for the event. Festival goers will get some input into the topics presented through consultation sessions in the preceding three days.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The Great Debate has been delivering public engagement activities of various types for over fourteen years, including over 35 public discussions and workshops on engineering-related subjects. We will be training and mentoring the participating engineers in an intensive programme over three days before the event to ensure that the event is of high quality. We have applied for a grant from Royal Academy of Engineering under the Ingenious scheme for this work.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
The Great Debate
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
17 Cardigan Terrace
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
Newcastle upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Wednesday 11 September 2013