Ideally the drop-in/hands-on stand would be there for a morning or afternoon.
17. What will the format of your event be?:
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
We would require a stand (relatively small), to be sited either where people are passing by or in a designated hall where there are similar hands-on demonstration type events all on small tables
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
This hands-on interactive event will show how earthquakes and tsunamis affect the surface of the earth and how we as sea-level scientists can measure this change. There will be three main themes: (1) Earthquake and tsunami basics – including demonstrations of how earthquakes cause the land level to change in coastal areas and a simulation of how tsunamis are generated by earthquakes. (2) Where we find a record of earthquakes and tsunamis – demonstrate how we use the soils on the coast to tell us when earthquakes have happened in the past and how big they were. (3) Measuring sea-level change – demonstrate how we use microscopic algae found in the soils to tell us about past environments and past changes in the height of the land caused by major earthquakes.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Wednesday 11 September 2013