DNA extraction takes 10 minutes, but the stand can run for 6-8 hours if needed, working with new participants all the time.
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
Families or any member of the General Public will come to this drop-in activity and extract DNA from strawberries using a simple process which only takes 10 minutes and is completely hands-on. After 10 minutes they will see a white band of DNA appear before their eyes, which they can fish out and take away in a separate tube if they want (children love to be able to take something home with them). We tested this activity at the Bang Goes the Borders Science Festival in Scotland earlier this year and children as young as four years old took part without a problem. We would have at least five helpers on the stand at a time so we will be able to work with 10 children at a time. This is a reproducible and fun activity which can also be high-throughput.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
This activity can easily be run anywhere as we do not need any special facilities. A classroom/seminar type space would be ideal. We would need sufficient space to handle an audience of up to 15-20 people (i.e. children extracting DNA + their parents watching or assisting). We would need: 2 trestle tables; minimum 5mx3m space and ideally, access to a freezer (to keep one of the extraction reagents cold)
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
DNA contains all the information every plant and animal cell needs to function. Come and have a go at extracting DNA from strawberries and discover what it looks like for yourself.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
This interactive exhibition will be run by members of the Human Nutrition Research Centre at Newcastle University.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
This is a very hands-on activity which is great fun and therefore offers great photo opportunities for children getting into Science. The activity received press coverage when we ran it at the Bang Goes the Borders Science festival in September 2012.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Human Nutrition Research Centre
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
Institute for Ageing and Health
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
0191 248 1141
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: