17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The event will be organised as an interactive panel discussion format, using the turning point system to collect and interact with the audience’s opinion. The main idea is to communicate what personalised nutrition means and whether the general public is ready to change the way they eat and live based on their genetic profile.
Newcastle University, Clement Stephenson Lecture Theatre
20. Venue requirements:
Lecturer theatre for a minimum of 100 participants, multimedia device available (projector, etc) Turning point available for udience interaction and voting.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
When the human genome was launched in 2000, it introduced the possibility of personalised health care. This could be applied to nutrition, a key health determinant, to create a diet tailored specifically for an individual, according to their individual physical and genetic make-up. Studies have shown that individuals respond differently to various nutrients. For example, omega-3, the 'healthy fats' that are believed to protect against cardiovascular disease, have been found to be more beneficial in individuals with a particular genetic make-up. The point is, we are all different, and so the way we respond to our diet is also different. How can we use our understanding of food and our genes to design a better, healthier and more individual diet? Do people really want to know what they should eat? Do people think that they should get their DNA sequenced or are they worried about what that will reveal?
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Newcastle and the surrounding area has its fair share of problems with poor diets, high obesity and heart disease rates? This activity shows how Personalised Nutrition could help improve their health.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
• Relevance to healthy eating advice: there is an increasing concern whether the “one size fit all” approach is appropriate or whether personalised advice should be given in order to maintain and promote healthy lifestyle. • Commercialisation: Since the Human Genome was sequenced in 2000, there has been substantial commercialization of the concept “personalised medicine”. Companies worldwide have started to use this genetic information to develop better recommendations for maintaining health. Despite the growth and commercialising of this idea there is no clear evidence showing how this information will benefit the health of the general public. • Ethical issues: Even though the idea of personalised dietary and health advice is exciting, there are still many legal and ethical issues that must be discussed. For example, who should have access to my genetic information? Do people really want to know their genetic profile? How will insurance companies react when people start being clustered into low and high risk individuals based on their genetic profile?
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
We would like to submit our proposal for the main science festival program.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
Human Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Ageing and Health, Newcastle University
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Biomedical Research Building
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
Newcastle Upon Tyne
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Thursday 12 September 2013