Please have a look at our most frequently asked questions about the Science Communication Conference.
If your question isn't answered by this page, please do get in touch with the Science in Society team .
About the Conference:
When is the Science Communication Conference in 2014?
The Science Communication Conference will take place on Thursday 1 and Friday 2 May 2014.
Where is the Science Communication Conference held?
In 2014, the Science Communication Conference will move outside of London for the first time in more than 10 years, as the University of Surrey  will be hosting the event. The University of Surrey is based in Guildford, a 40 minute train journey from London Waterloo.
Can I run a session at the Conference?
The call for proposals is now closed. You can still display a poster or talk about your work in a lunchtime session if you have booked a place as a delegate.
Attending the Conference:
How do I book?
Bookings for the Conference are now closed.
How much does registration for the conference cost?
The delegate fees for 2014 are £100 for a 1-day pass (either day) and £185 for a 2-day pass. Early-bird discounts are available for early bookings, costing £90 for a 1-day pass or £165 for a 2-day pass. Delegates will be able to purchase single day tickets as well as a full, 2 day delegate pass.
Can I get a discount?
We will be offering discounts for the following groups:
- Unemployed: 1 day = £70, 2 day = £125
- Undergraduate students: 1 day = £70, 2 day = £125
- British Science Association volunteers: 1 day = £70, 2 day = £125
- Freelancers: 1 day = £90, 2 day = £165
How can I pay for the conference?
All payment is online by credit/debit card through Eventbrite. We are unable to accept cash or cheques. You will receive a booking confirmation, receipt and ticket via email.
Are bursaries available for the Science Communication Conference?
Bursaries are available to help specific individuals attend the Conference that wouldn't otherwise be able to come. Applications are now closed. Bursaries were awarded in the following categories:
- BSc or MSc Science Communication students (UK Full/Part time course for 2013/2014)
- Freelancers and individuals from non-profit organisations with less than 15 staff
- Researchers involved in public engagement
- Volunteers who have made a substantial and regular contribution to science communication initiatives over a considerable period of time
Can I get a refund?
We can only issue refunds before the bookings close on the 22nd April 2014 - after this point we cannot process refunds.
Who is speaking at the Conference?
Read the online programme to find out what sessions are taking place and who is speaking - the programme will be updated with further details regularly.
What socialising opportunities are there at the Conference?
There will be several evening events for you to get involved with and meet other delegates:
- Wednesday 30 April: Science Showoff
- Thursday 1st May (17.30 - 19.30): Conference Drinks Reception
- Thursday 1st May (19.30 - 21.30): Conference Dinner (book here )
How do I get there?
The nearest train station is Guildford - the University campus is a short walk away and there will be members of staff to guide you in the right direction. There are also taxis available at the station. There is limited car parking available on campus - when booking your place, please let us know if you need a parking space.
Where can I stay?
There are a number of nearby hotels a short walk from the Surrey campus: