All Day Event
17. What will the format of your event be?:
20 minute show, 40 minute workshop. Kids see the 20 minute show and then take part in the activity for themselves.
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The event includes a mobile climbing wall that can be set up in most locations that can be driven to. The wall takes 20 minutes to set up and comes with 3 Climbing Instructors and a Presenter. The wall can be run all day for the public to take part in.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
The venue needs to be easily accessible by car and have a flat surface to set the wall up on. Documents will be sent across separately for the set up logistics of the mobile climbing wall.
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
This first of its kind activity will contextualise science and sport in a way that has never been done before. The Education Extreme Team will show the science behind Rock Climbing Live on a Mobile Climbing Wall. The 20 minute show will cover Centre of Mass with the team hanging from automatic belays on the wall, Climbing Technology with Strength Testers, testing the gear to breaking point, Friction with co-efficient of friction testing live on the wall, and Physiology with speed climbing competitions between the Ed-X Coaches and the Climbing Instructor plus a whole lot more! Then for 40 minutes, the audience get to put the science in to action straight away, contextualising the science they’ve just learnt in the show. This opens up a whole new world of learning where the public don’t need to extrapolate to visualise where the science is used, they see and do it right there and then. Science Rocks is a brand new concept brought together by the Ed-X Team and Boulders Climbing Centre in Cardiff.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Press can have a go at the climbing wall. Press shots of the wall and surroundings.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Majority of costs around the Event are for transportation of the wall. Flexible quote comes in as: £1695 inc VAT for 1 day if this is the only event. This includes 3 climbing instructors, mobile climbing wall, reduced presenter rates and travel. Quote is flexible based on the team doing other events at the festival and also the number of days the event runs. It makes financial sense to have the event for a full weekend as travel is one of the biggest outlays for the event. Quote is flexible based on the team doing other events at the festival and also the number of days the event runs. This is the highest possible cost, we hope to work with the BSF team to bring this down, we value the importance of the Science Festival to do good work and endeavor to support this through helping the festival afford more events.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
To the Blue
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
Norfolk House - Office 8
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
57-59 Charles Street
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Saturday 7 September 2013
Sunday 8 September 2013