17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
I gave a talk with the same title at BSF 2012 in Aberdeen, and the format of about 45 minutes of presentation plus 15 minutes of Q&A worked very well.
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
20. Venue requirements:
I just require a lecture space with the ability to show a powerpoint presentation. The audience last year was around 100 so a reasonably large space is desirable. We have also proposed a one-day drop-in exhibit called "What makes a Supercomputer super?" (managed by Iain Bethune). The exhibit is directly linked to this proposed talk so it would be good if the venues were co-located in both location and time/date (if they are accepted).
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
We want to explain how supercomputers and computer simulations play a key role in modern science. They are fundamental to new discoveries in many areas including nanotechnology, particle physics, cosmology, engineering and climate science. The UK is a world leader in this area with the UK national supercomputer, HECToR, being operated by EPCC at the University of Edinburgh. Although computers are ubiquitous in modern life, their crucial role in modern science is not generally understood. For example, the evidence that human activity plays a major role in climate change comes mainly from computer simulations that can only be performed on supercomputers.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Around the time of BSF 2013, the next generation UK national supercomputer called ARCHER should just have been installed at Edinburgh. This normally generates substantial publicity, so a talk on the same topic should be of interest to the press.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
The talk I gave last year went very well, so although I plan to update it in detail I plan to stick with the same basic structure and format.
1. Event Manager Organisation:
EPCC, The University of Edinburgh
2. Event Manager First Name:
4. Event Manager Address line 1:
JCMB, The King's Buildings
5. Event Manager Address line 2:
6. Event Manager Address line 3:
7. Event Manager Postcode:
8. Event Manager Telephone number:
0131 650 5960
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: