17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
The aim of the event will be to 1) present current scientific knowledge about running barefoot to dispel myths and misunderstanding and allay fears of those tempted to try it and 2) provide a practical demonstration of the effect of footwear on impact forces and loading rates using state-of-the-art technology in the sports sciences laboratories in Northumbria University’s Sports Central facility. Coaching tips on barefoot running technique and advice on transitioning from shod to barefoot running will also be available from the presenters. The first part of the event would be lecture style with opportunities for questions during and after. The second part of the event would involve practical demonstrations of barefoot running technique involving running over force plates to demonstrate shod / barefoot differences in running gait with full opportunities for public involvement.
Northumbria University, Sports Central
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
There is much interest in and debate about running barefoot, with claims of performance improvements and injury reduction or prevention commonly found in the popular media. This event aims to present the current scientific evidence examining these claims and to provide practical demonstrations of the effects of removing shoes on aspects of running technique associated with injury risk and running performance.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
The press have already shown an interest in aspect of our work in this area concerning possible performance benefits. A recent study published by a group from Harvard University suggesting injury reducing benefits received worldwide media attention. Data testing the injury reduction hypothesis has only recently become available and builds on this previous work. Running is such a mass participation sport and attracts a great deal of attention in the region annually with the Great North Run, it is likely that media interest will be high.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Monday 9 September 2013
Tuesday 10 September 2013
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Thursday 12 September 2013