Two 1hour surveys during the afternoon
17. What will the format of your event be?:
18. Please give any details about the format of your event you feel are relevant.:
We will run two different surveys, so participants can take part in both if they wish, or one or the other.
Moorbank Botanic Garden, Claremont Road, NE2 4NL
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
The Open Air Laboratories Network (OPAL) is one of the largest citizen science projects in England. It's aim is to encourage more people to learn about their local environment via a series of surveys looking at habitats and inhabitants. We're aiming to run two different surveys on this day, from the 7 on offer, and then submitting the data to OPAL's team of scientists. We'll also give people information and surveys to carry out this work at home.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Findings from 5 years of data from OPAL have been published in January 2013, and cover topics such as the distribution of invertebrates in England. There are some surprising results around how invertebrates are surviving in urban as opposed to rural environments. More information here: http://www.opalexplorenature.org/CEreport-news
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
Whilst the surveys are suitable for everyone, we'd be happy to tailor it to a specific audience if this is preferable. Moorbank Botanic Garden is a closed research facility, part of the School of Biology. We open a few times a year for the public, and Sunday 8th September is one of those occasions - we'll be open from 2-5pm and we would love to run these activities as part of the festival.
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname:
11. Do you have a preferred day for your event to take place on?:
Sunday 8 September 2013