17. What will the format of your event be?:
Venue and location to be allocated by the Festival team
13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
During Jan-July 2012 an evaluation team from the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences conducted a social impact evaluation study to assess the social impact of the Wider Family Learning programmes provided by SAFC Foundation of Light. With a brief to measure the impact of the wider family learning programmes on the families, schools and the community involved, the research team developed a set of indicators and social impact measurements which were used as a framework to measure impact and to monitor and inform future programmes. This symposium presents four interlinked papers resulting from an evaluation study which provides a social impact assessment of SAFC Foundation’s wider family learning programmes and examines the science of measuring impact.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
Relevant due to local interest in football teams who were project partners in the study. SAFC and parents involved in the study will also contribute to the delivery of the session.
22. Do you consider that the event will attract press interest?:
23. If yes, please summarise up to 4 key points you think will be of press interest:
Yes. The dissemination of this research has already received some press attention at its launch and the research findings are about to be released to the Press at the end of this week (4-5 Oct 12) Football is part of the fabric of North East culture, therefore the charitable Foundation of Light receives a lot of attention and support due to its links to the football club. The growth of Third Sector organisations and their role in providing services which have historically been provided by local authorities. Family Learning has been proven to be a powerful tool to raise children’s attainment, which is always high on educational policy agendas. Social Impact, although difficult to measure, is something which is currently high on social policy agendas.
24. Do you have any other comments you would like to make or information you would like to include?:
As this is an initial proposal, it may be worth mentioning that I am currently consulting with Newcastle United Football Club’s charitable Foundation with a view to conducting some evaluation work with them. If this work does come to fruition, the symposium would alter slightly to incorporate the findings of this research too.
I am the event manager:
I am the event manager
1. Event Manager Organisation:
2. Event Manager First Name:
9. Event Manager Email address:
10. Which of the following areas of science does your event best fit into?:
3. Event Manager Surname: