13. Description of the core message of your event and key topics to be covered (c.100 words):
Can advanced digital technologies make waves in the tide of social exclusion? The £12M "Social Inclusion through the Digital Economy" project is doing this, working with older people, the disabled and young people on the margins of society. Our work includes:
- a kitchen that helps people with dementia to cook
- using sensors to monitor older people's activity and give them personal health advice
- an instrumented car than is being used to identify and avoid situations that cause anxiety in older drivers
The project is an example of how researchers from a wide range of disciplines (computer science, electrical engineering, sociology, gerontology, design and business), can work together to overcome deep-seated problems in society.
14. Does the event have particular local relevance?:
15. If so, please indicate what this is:
The SiDE project engages participants from the community to provide feedback on research topics. We utilise Voice North and have established networks with local authorities.