Sir Walter Bodmer Award for Volunteering
The Sir Walter Bodmer Award is one of our main awards for volunteers of the British Science Association, a key feature in our Reward and Recognition scheme. The purpose of the Award is to acknowledge publicly the contribution volunteers make to the British Science Association and to encourage others to volunteer. Volunteers are defined as those individuals who give their time, unpaid, to advance the aims of, or otherwise support, the Association, outside the requirements of their principal employment.
Nominations for the 2014 Award will open in the New Year.
Anyone is eligible to nominate an individual or group that they feel are deserving of this award. The Award Panel assesses all submissions and chooses the year’s winner. The winner is announced on 1 June to coincide with the start of Volunteers’ Week, and is invited to receive the award at the British Science Festival Dinner.
The Award is usually made to an individual, but may be made to a group of volunteers. A separate and additional award for long service may be made to any volunteer who has contributed an exemplary length of service to volunteering for the Association.
The Association’s volunteers are likely to fall into the following categories, although this is not an exhaustive list:
- Branch Committee Members
- Section Committee Members
- Council members
- Honorary Fellows
- Science Club leaders
- British Science Festival speakers
- CREST teachers
- Event helpers
Criteria for the Award
- Evidence must be offered about the nature and extent of their volunteer activity to the benefit of the Association, through a nomination form.
- Association staff and their families may not be nominated.
Eligibility for the Award
- Anyone may make a nomination, whether they are Association staff, members, existing volunteers or people not associated with the Association.
- An individual may nominate more than one person.
- Nominations may only be made through a completed Nomination Form – A hard copy is attached with this insert, or online copies can be obtained from the Association website (follow the Walter Bodmer link from the homepage).
- Individuals may not nominate themselves.